Sunday, April 13, 2008

Deal or No Deal (does this make me White Trash?)










So, I was watching Deal or No Deal on TV last Monday and a little banner came up at the bottom of the screen announcing that Deal or No Deal would be casting in Utah on Saturday April 12 and to go to KSL.com for details. Well, I certainly did do that and printed off the instructions to be a contestant on the famous TV show. I also talked my poor co-worker Trisha into going with me so I didn't have to be a looser all by myself standing in line with 3,000-10,000 people (as they predicted would arrive) in the RC Willey parking lot on 2100 South in Salt Lake on a beautiful sunny day. Trisha also invited her brother-in-law and nephew to join us. We arrived at 9:45 am and began waiting in line on West Temple...several blocks away from our destination. The line steadily moved forward, but with it weaving in and out, we waited several hours outside with very little to do except size up the competition in line with us. Trisha's brother-in-law decided that this deemed us white trash because we would waist an entire day in a line for something so trivial. Needless to say he gave up half way through and ditched us. But, Trisha and I held strong. We finally arrived at the RC Willey entrance and found out that it would be another two hour wait once inside the building. Several hours of standing, squatting and moving inch by inch to our destination got us there. They lined us up in groups of ten and ran (literally) us to table where we had 20 sec to plead our case of why we should be chosen as a contestant for the show. Trisha had to be the first in our group of ten, which caught us both off guard, but she was cute with her story of a husband who has a online dating profile and the great news that her divorce was finalized this week, and that she has the great fortune of living with her parents and her grandma. I was next! That's just about when my knees began to shake :) My story consisted of being married to my handsome husband for 1 year and how we had just bought a house, but how I would really like to give it some TLC with paint and new carpet and the works. I also mentioned that Jed is 6'4 and I am not quite 5'4 so we had to ask his dad to build a stool...a kissing stool so I can properly say goodbye to him before work. After all ten people had their chance the Deal or NO Deal representative choose three people (Trish was one) and sent them in one direction. Then he chose five more and sent them in the same direction. That left me and another gentlemen alone at the table. The guy then explained that we had made it through the first round and he was bringing over somebody else to listen to our stories!!! I then made it through that next round, where I was sent again to wait in another line and with another group of ten had to plead my case once more. By this time there were some very interesting people I have to admit. There was a girl whose nose is so small she can't breath through it so she has to breath through her mouth only, and a guy who is addicted to video games and goes to AA for it...
Was it worth it...waiting in line for 8 hours for a chance at the million dollars. I don't know, but they still have my application, so who knows you may see me hanging with Howie sooner then you think!!

1 comment:

Liann said...

Did you mention that you also have a spiritual twin in Scotland/England that you need to visit and need to come up with some cash to bring your 6'4 husband to meet her? :)