I grew up with a very common, well known, average name. It is not spelled uniquely, it is not hard to pronounce...I grew up as
REBECCA JOHNSON
No middle name to confuse things, nothing to difficult for the unlearned.
Then along came Jed. His first name is three easy letters, nothing difficult there either right? The only difference is that his last name is POLLOCK. It is pronounced a little differently then the spelling (NOT POLE-LOCK rather PAUL-LICK). When we were engaged he made me practice pronouncing it correctly. I made a few errors here and there but I am use to it now.
I have heard my new last name mispronounced and misspelled a few times since I have been married. For the most part people are rather embarrassed and apologize that they have incorrectly said Pollock.
BUT... on Saturday, my cute husband and I went to the mall to begin our Christmas shopping. We were at about our fourth store and I handed the cashier my debit card. He asked to see my I.D. and started laughing. I have a fairly normal picture on my drivers licence so I knew it wasn't that, but then he said "Is your name really Pollock (pronounced POLE-LOCK)?" Jed speedily said "Pollock (PAUL-LICK) YES!" The guy just kept laughing and mentioned a few times how funny our last name is. He then asked what nationality it was (laughing as he was thinking of Polish jokes I am sure.) Jed proceeded to tell him it is Scottish. The cashier did not believe him as he dubiously looked at Jed and said "UH HUH?"
It is the first time I have ever been made fun of because of my name. Sad huh?
10 comments:
I know how you feel. With my first name Yadira it is so hard for people to pronounce it right. So I know were you are coming from. That's one of the reasons we gave our kids more american names.
Do you remember what this person looked like and what booth they were at? I'll kick their A$$! Violence aside, my last name is the butt of many jokes... always has been. I just look at them like they are stupid and most times they feel pretty stupid. Little trick... ha ha Anyways, let me know where they are...
Rebecca, you are very kind for the words that you wrote on my blog. I try to be a good mother and sometimes we get frustrated and angry and we have good days and bad days but my kids are the world to me. And I can't wait untill you and jed start your family, you have a great example, your parents and I bet Jed does too.
Join the club sweety!! I have been teased in one way or another about my name my whole life, the most common being Hey, Mariann, where's Gilligan. hahahaha. Now my last name everyone thinks is spanish and pernounces it that way when really it is pernounced (pier-o). So I totally feel your pain. Just remember those who make fun of names that are actually quite normal are just showing you their intelligence level.
It is great having Pollock as a last name. Every time a telemarketer mispronouces the name I can immediately tell them that no one by that name lives here.
You should hear my kindergartners correct their parents when they say my name incorrectly. The parents also write me notes with it spelled a wide variety of ways. I actually think it is funny now.
It is great having Pollock as a last name. Every time a telemarketer mispronouces the name I can immediately tell them that no one by that name lives here.
You should hear my kindergartners correct their parents when they say my name incorrectly. The parents also write me notes with it spelled a wide variety of ways. I actually think it is funny now.
I grew up with a very different name. I got made fun of all the time. But now I have a very normal name and there are a million people out there with it. Sometimes I miss my maiden name, but I use it as my middle name now and people think it is weird.
You have joined a long line of POLLOCKS. After we were married my grandpa Nielsen made it his lifes work to tell us every POLE-LOK joke he heard or made up. Believe me I have heard it all!!! Welcome to the crowd. WE LOVE REBECCA POLLOCK!!!
Look on the bright side. It gave you something to blog about.
I know, I am SO helpful.
Cry me a river sister!! :) LOL Try growing up a LIGHTFOOT!!!! :) :) :) love ya... seriously, though, it does tick you off doesn't it??
Post a Comment