Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Gary Dalton Beazer "Gramps"


One week ago today (November 17, 2009) my grandpa passed away! It was sudden and unexpected. His funeral services were held Saturday November 21st. My grandpa has 16 grandchildren, all except one spoke at his funeral. As I sat there listening to 14 cousins share a special memory they had with "Gramps" I realized he left us a legacy we didn't even know about until he was gone. I didn't realize he had a little something special/different/unique that he did with each grandchild. I kept asking myself "how did he keep each grandchild's 'special somethings' straight?" How did he remember to ask Misty "Guess what?" every time he saw her? How did he remember to make Rachael "Pay the toll" every time he gave her a kiss? How did he remember to wave (non-stop) every time I went to my moms, and tease me about his teeth being on he dashboard (where they belong) and somehow bring up underwear or one-piece garments every time I came around?
I have learned so much about my grandpa this week. He was such a good, honest man. He had a funny sense of humor. Many people came up to me at the viewing on Friday night and wanted to share something my grandpa had done for their family, or something that he had given them. He was such a hard worker.
After the funeral services, his procession took us down the street he has lived on for most of his life. His wagon wheel fence was lined with maroon balloons, and almost every neighbor had the American flag and flagpole out that my grandpa had made them for 9-11! Most the neighbors stood out in their yard or on their porch waving as we slowly drove by. The Hamblin family had every grandchild waving a flag. It was quite a site.
I don't want 'Gramps' to be gone. I didn't want them to close the casket Saturday morning because I knew it would be the last time I would get to see him. Sometimes some things just don't seem fair. But, somehow it must be exactly as Heavenly Father plans it.
I sure will miss camping with him in the Uintah's. I am going to miss dune-buggy rides. I am going to miss eating crab legs in the barn with him on Christmas Eve and I am going to miss his teasing!

I can't end the post there though...because my sweet husband should get a shout out for being so patient with me this past week. It should have been Jed's Birthday week, it should have been all about him the past few days. But he selflessly gave up his BYU tickets on Saturday to attend a funeral. He spent hours if not days without me while I spent time with my family and especially with my sister who flew in from Pittsburgh for a few days. And he has been there every night holding my hand and listening to me cry or share stories about his two Gramps! I love you Jed, and I am grateful you are mine!

6 comments:

randishea said...

I remember when he gave us all those flag poles and I remember that I loved going to their house on Halloween because he would give us big candy bars. He was such a nice man. I'm really really sorry.

Yadira said...

I am so sorry that yoour "Gramps" passed away. Your post made me cry. What nice things to say about him. My grandpa is so faraway that I don't know how I will react to his death. I haven't been around him much lately and My memories from when I was alittle girl are very little, because I moved away from them at the age of 7. But I know it will hit me also, now that I am thinking of it. I hope you are okay, you have a great husband and family for support. Take care and I am very sorry again.

Ann said...

I am so sorry. We lost my grandpa this summer and it has not been easy. I don't know what it is about Grandpa's but they make each grandchild feel so special. My grandpa had 38 grandchildren and I always felt like I was his favorite.

Erin said...

Very sweet post Rebecca. What a great Gramps we have :)

Ludlows said...

I am sorry for your loss Rebecca. He sounds like an amazing man and grandfather. Enjoy your memories, they will be priceless.

Misty said...

I loved your post. My mom and I are crying together. I love you Beddy Sue and I'm so grateful we had a wonderful Gramps together!