The other day a friend asked for some help moving. I called Stevie to asked if I could borrow his beastly green truck. The beastly green truck had less than a fourth tank of gas when I picked it up, so I stopped at the gas station on my way to meet my friend. I jumped out of the truck, shut the door, opened the gas cap, realized I had pulled into a stall that did not provide diesel, put the cap back on, went to get in the truck and realized I had locked the keys (along with my purse and phone) in the truck. AGGGGHHH! I am so stupid sometimes. I ran into the gas station and asked to borrow the phone. I dialed my hubby's number, but of course he didn't answer because he never answers a call he doesn't recognize (sometimes he doesn't even answer calls he does recognize.) So I left a friendly, kind, sweet, patient...(you get the picture) message saying I would be calling back in a few seconds and please answer this time. He did answer, and I can tell he rolled his eyes when I explained my dilemma. But he said he would come rescue me nonetheless. While I was patiently waiting for my night in shinning armor to come save me, I wandered back over to the truck. That is when I noticed I had rolled the window down about an inch and a half. I jumped up on the running board and shoved my arm down into the truck, but I couldn't quite reach the lock. There was a lady at the next pump filling up her mini van, so I asked her if her arms were longer and skinnier than mine (that resulted in a very strange look.) She took her jacket off and stepped up on the running board. She was closer than I was, but still could not reach the lock. She told me to hold on and got her daughter out of the van. We hoisted the
7ish year old up and she tried and tried and tried to pull up on the lock. Then she asked if she could take a brake. I thanked her for her help and she informed me she wanted to try again she just needed a rest. So we lifted her back up, she reached her skinny little arm into the truck, struggled to find the lock, found it and TAAADDDAA she pulled up unlocking the beastly green truck. The rest of the moving experience happened without incident! I learned my lesson, never leave keys in the ignition.
Second story:
Yesterday was just an average day at work. The outpatient schedule looked relatively easy for a Friday. That all changed late in the day. An inpatient was brought down for a scan of the abdomen. She was a somewhat difficult patient and she did not have the best of hygiene care (I don't know if this was personal or if it was due to the floor staff either way, she did not smell like roses.) Due to a series of events, neither Jana, my coworker, nor I looked through this patients exam before sending her back up to her room. A few hours later our radiologist called saying the patient needed to be brought back down to have a drain placed in a ginormous pocket of infection called an abscess. We sent for her immediately, moved her back to the table and struggled to get her into a position where the radiologist would be able to place a drain in the buttock area. Rolling her over ruffled up some smells that had been lingering in the bed. I gagged. The radiologist came in to begin the invasive procedure and told me he needed a fan to circulate the air. I giggled. We had our masks on but this did not help 'mask' the smell. Our doctor localized the area with some lidocaine, placed the needle and slid the drain in, puss started to ooze out! The smell was horrific. Our nurse turned her head, the radiologist stepped back to regroup and I ran into the control room gagging and eventually lost my lunch. (I thought that might be more polite than saying I ralphed, I puked, I hurled, or I up chucked at work) Dr. Blatter came in the control room so I could take some images to make sure the drain was in place. Shaunna our nurse said "Jana, I am so sorry you threw up!" Dr. Blatter made some comments about "Jana" puking at work too and that I would never be able to live it down. I felt no need to correct them in calling me the wrong name since Jana was actually out getting other patients ready because we were so far behind and couldn't defend herself. News spread fast and Jana was sure to correct everyone so they knew it was 'Rebecca' who actually couldn't handle the smells of our poor patient.
What can I say, so much fun just in one short week!
7 comments:
I love a good BOGO, what a deal! funny {and gross} stories Jana. I really liked them.
Great stories to tell your kids and grandkids. The things that happen to us women. I hope you feel better from the smell of that patient. I can just imagine it.
WOW. You had a rough couple of days! I am glad the little 7 year old got the job done. I love that she wanted a "break"...so so cute.
And for the lovely experience you had at work... SO totally and absolutely GROSS!! I would have barfed all over. I am quite certain I would NOT have made it the next room. Kudos to you. That is probably why I would be totally worthless in the medical field. A lot less would have me puking.
Hope you are feeling better soon!
Sorry that you had some rough days, but thank you for making me laugh!
Oh man. That's sick. I can just imagine you dry heaving. I've seen that plenty in my life.
Ha ha ha!
I love your gross stories.
Usually it is JEDDY that is telling GROSS stories. Thanks Jana for a very funny blog updata!
I thought Jed was the one with the weak tummy. I can't say I am much better. I run across my classroom and turn off the lights the second a student pukes. For some reason the dark room helps hold it all down. Hopefully next week will look up.
Post a Comment