Sunday, July 6, 2008

Oh what do you do in the summer time?







So every year my family goes camping the first week of July. We pack up the trailer and stock it with plenty of food...you know enough to last three months even though we are only gone for a week. Last year, Jed and I had only been married for four months when camping time arrived and he decided he would not come...so I left him and went by myself... I guess he learned his lesson, because this year he packed a pillow, some clothes, and asked his dad if we could borrow a blow up mattress. (I have to admit this is the first year I have ever slept in a tent besides girls camp. It wasnt as bad as I imagined since I still showered in my parents trailer.) Anyway, Jed and I left on Wednesday around noon and drove up to the Lilly lake road where we usually set up camp. We were the first ones in the family, so Jed decided to set up our tent and get all settled in. Then he wanted to make sure my family had a camp fire when they arrived. So using his boyscout skills (that I actually didn't know he had) he built a cabin style fire. He got out our lighter which we impressively remembered to bring, but didn't realize it was out of fluid. So, Jed decided to start the fire with his car cigarrette lighter. I have to admit that I doubted Jed could start a fire with a car lighter. Hours later (no joke) after every recipe he could find in his car was burnt on the edges a tiny little flame ignighted and Jed started a camp fire with no match! I was impressed! Jed ended up being the breakfast chef up there as well. I didn't even know Jed knew how to cook. He made blueberry pancakes and bacon and saugage. I only was put in charge of the orange juice. I guess my mom didn't think I could handle anything more complicated than that. Jed also saw a Yurt for the very first time. But don't ask him what it was called because he can't remember if it was a York or a Yurk or a Yaught :) My parents also brought up thier little moped which was tiny looking while Jed was driving up and down the dirt road, but it looked even smaller when we both tried to climb on and ride it around without one of us falling off. My mom fed us well up there, we never went hungry. Fishing was great (Jed caught one, but he gave it to a little boy whose family didn't catch anything.) And in the end I didn't want to come home :(

No comments: