Sunday, November 30, 2008

There are still nice people out there

A few weeks ago I was in a tiny little car accident. I know! I know! I just paid the car off in August and I am already ramming it into the back of people! Anyway, It was an accident, and it was my fault. We were all coming to a stop, I thought I had stopped, I looked down to change the radio station and...bump...I end up in someones back seat! The lady I hit was super nice! I kept apologizing and she kept telling me "Accident's happen!" That same evening she called to tell me that she had taken her car into the shop and the estimated damage was about $600 (it wasn't a very bad accident) but, still $600 right at Christmas time, for something that is NOT FUN! She mentioned she didn't care if we went through our insurance or paid out of pocket. The next day I called our trusty Allstate rep, he suggested that if the other party didn't care, then we should probably pay out of pocket to save us from an increase on our premiums. I called her back, but was only able to leave a message. She never called back, never called back, never called back (I guess you get the picture.) Almost two weeks went by, but then my phone rang. I answered, she asked for me, and then said;





Long delay for emphasis...




"My husband and I were thinking, it is an old car and not one we drive that often, so lets just forget the accident happened and you and your family have a Merry Christmas!" I asked if she was sure and she responded, "Yes, you just return the favor to someone one day."

I was overwhelmed with gratitude! The first thing that came to my mind after I hung up was "I am so glad I pay my tithing!" Silly I know, but I felt very blessed at that moment!

I just wanted to let everyone know that there are still NICE PEOPLE OUT THERE! And you can bet that Jed and I certainly will return the favor to someone one day!

6 comments:

Yadira said...

I am sorry you had the accident. I didn't know! But those are the blessings that we get when we pay our tithing and when we are obedient. How cool of that lady to do this and for you not to have to worry about paying.

Hayley and Josh said...

Holy Cow. I swear I check your blog everyday and it's usually only a BYU update, so I didn't check it for a few days and now there's this huge plethora of stuff to read! What a treat!
First, I'm glad I made it to your Thankful list and your looking forward to tag.
Second, your Christmas party looked fun. I add riding tricycles to my list of stuff to do when I come to Utah. Ha ha.
Third, you lucky dog!!! I can't believe that lady said you don't have to pay to fix her car! Heavenly Father LOVES you! I agree, there are some nice people out there. So, what are you going to do to pay THAT forward? It's gonna have to be huge.
I LOVE YOU! and Can't wait to see you!

Hayley and Josh said...

Oh, don't get the wrong idea Jed, I truly do enjoy your BYU updates. :)

Ludlows said...

What a great story! I can admit that it did bring some tears to my eyes especially when you talked about tithing. Tithing is such a blessing. Glad that you are okay and that the accident was not really bad

Mariann said...

I am sorry about your accident but that lady is really nice!! She seems to have the christmas spirit!! :)

Jeff and Michelle and Aliyah said...

What a blessing! I'm so grateful for NICE people out there and am glad you don't have to pay around the holidays! What a great lady! Yea for paying tithing!!! It was also fun reading the updates! We need to get together soon so I can hear all the details in person!