"Dearest Rebecca!
I know I should write you before, but I'll be landing on SLC Airport on Friday Night, and I'll come back to Spain on March 2nd. Do you think it would be any chance for us to meet? I would love it!!!
Please, write me back asap. loads of love!!
Maria Helena"
WHAT!!!
I was super excited! I haven't seen "Sister Frias" in 9 years! I e-mailed her right back with some contact information and told her to call me as soon as she could.
Sunday night my phone rang... it was her! We arranged to meet the next morning in Salt Lake. I could hardly sleep. I was so excited to see her again!
Sister Frias was a wonderful missionary. She is a convert to the church, and is the only member in her family. She served for 6 weeks with her trainer, and then President Wilkinson called me on 'moves day' and transferred me to Beith to serve with Sister Frias who was struggling with homesickness.
It was more than homesickness that poor Sister Frias was struggling with. She was actually suffering from S.A.D (Seasonal Affective Disorder) due to the lack of sunshine in the bonnie land of Scotland. She also had an unknown goiter that was causing a chemical imbalance.
We only served together for three weeks. But we loved each other. We laughed, we cried, we worked hard, we testified together. I learned so much from Sister Frias. She is a very amazing person.
She was unexpectedly sent home to receive professional help three weeks into our companionship. Once treated she was reassigned to complete her mission in the Spain Malaga Mission (where there was sunshine).
Monday
We spent an entire day together. We attended a the temple, enjoyed the movie at the JSMB and took a tour of the Conference Center.
We giggled over memories we made together in the mission field.
Our flats teeny, tiny shower and the fact that the entire place was only 7 hops big. Me fasting for her, while she ate my Easter candy. Her trying to teach me Spanish, ...her telling me it was a good thing God sent me to an English speaking mission because I could not learn Spanish. People we taught. Scratching her back with my toenails instead of my fingernails. The time she thought I was going to get her killed. The stuffed animal that sang.
She remembered much more than I did (I blame that on pregnancy brain).
I love Sister Frias! She is beautiful, she is talented, she is spiritual, she is AMAZING!
Thank you for all the memories Maria Helena!
4 comments:
I looked at this right after we got off the phone!! I'm so glad you had a fun day together.
By the way, your hair is so long!!! It's growing fast!
That is awesome that you got to see one of your companions. Sometimes I regret not serving a mission. Because the memories that you have from a mission are priceless. That's how i feel when i listen to Jorge's experiences. Hopefully when i grow older i can experience serving a mission with Jorge.
I am glad you had fun!
Post a Comment